Inter-American Foundation (IAF) Grassroots Development Fellowship Program
The IAF Grassroots Development Ph.D. Fellowship Program provides support for dissertation field research in Latin America and the Caribbean undertaken by students who have advanced to candidacy for a Ph.D. from a university in the United States.
2017-2018 IAF Ph.D. Grassroots Development Fellowship
The deadline for applications for the 2017-2018 Fellowship Cycle of the IAF Grassroots Development Ph.D. Fellowship Program is
JANUARY 11, 2017.
Fellowships are available to currently registered students who have advanced to candidacy (by the time research begins) for the Ph.D. in the social sciences, physical sciences, technical fields and the professions as related to grassroots development issues. Applications for clinical research in the health field will NOT be considered.
Awards are based on both development and scholarly criteria. Proposals should offer a practical orientation to field-based information. In exceptional cases the IAF will support research reflecting a primary interest in macro questions of politics and economics but only as they relate to the environment of the poor. The Fellowship Program complements IAF’s support for grassroots development in Latin America and the Caribbean, and preference for those applicants whose careers or research projects are related to topics of greatest interest to the IAF. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Organizations undertaking grassroots development with disadvantaged people;
• The financial sustainability and independence of development organizations, and the mobilization of community assets;
• The inclusion in development processes of historically excluded groups, such as African descendants, indigenous peoples, women, people with disabilities, young people and LGBTI groups;
• Transnational development;
• The role of corporate social responsibility in grassroots development;
• The impact of globalization on grassroots development;
• The impact on the quality of life of the poor of grassroots development activities in such areas as sustainable agriculture and natural resource management, housing, health care, education, urban development, technology transfer, jobs creation, and marketing and small-enterprise development.
Funding is for between four and 12 months. Research during the 2016-2017 cycle must be initiated between June 1, 2017 and March 31, 2018.
IAF’s Fellowships provide support for Ph.D. candidates to conduct dissertation research in Latin America and the Caribbean on topics related to grassroots development. The Inter-American Foundation expects to award up to 15 Doctoral Field Research Fellowships in 2016.
Complete proposals include:
- A complete research prospectus - an application statement, a field research prospectus, a Curriculum Vitae (custom), and a Personal Statement;
- A letter of University Certification;
- A letter of affiliation from at least one host organization;
- Statement of IRB Status or proof of submission or approval;
- Graduate transcripts;
- Three academic letters of reference, one which must be from the chair of the applicant's dissertation committee;
- A Language Proficiency Report.
Selected candidates must present proof of candidacy and IRB exemption or approval prior to receiving funding or entering the field. Complete application information and instructions are available at www.iie.org/iaf.